US Supreme Court Hearing April 28, 2015
The US Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on April 28 in the case to determine the future of marriage in the United States. They will decide whether states have a right to define qualifications for marriage in their laws. It could lead to banning not only state recognition of marriage as the only civil institution that unites children with their mothers and fathers, but also any public promotion that it has unique value to children, the family and society.
We are calling on the faithful to join the Marriage Reality Movement in a Novena in advance of or during the oral arguments. It can begin at any time between now and April 28.
Recite the prayers below during nine consecutive days for the intentions listed below.
Heavenly Father, you established marriage as part of your plan for creation as a communion of life and love. Recognition and promotion of marriage reality is critical so that young people know the importance of entering into it as the foundation of their own families. Today, forces seek to change the law so that there is no longer any civil institution that is specifically geared for uniting children with their mothers and fathers and to make it illegal to promote the unique value for men and women marrying before having children.
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. Amen.
Father, you know that lies about marriage, family, love and sexuality are corrupting our children and influencing the choices they make. Please hear our prayer for our children and for future generations through Jesus Christ, our Lord. Amen.
- St Joseph, protector of the Church and the Family, pray for our intentions.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe, Star of the New Evangelization, pray for our intentions.
- St. John Paul II who so loves the family, pray for our intentions.
- Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, and the Memorare
- That the Holy Spirit may fill the attorneys presenting the case for marriage. Help them witness the truth about marriage reality in ways the Justices can hear and understand.
- That the minds and hearts of the Justices of the United States Supreme Court may be opened so they can perceive the importance of marriage the need to protect the right of children, as far as possible, to be born into a family with their moms and dads united in marriage. Inspire them to deliberate with wisdom and prudence.
- That opponents of recognizing marriage reality be granted peace through understanding that our love for marriage and justice is not based on animosity, and help them to see the consequences of their actions for humanity and the common good.
- That the most innocent and vulnerable among us, including our children, be protected from the impoverished understanding of love and family in the culture, and the human consequences of the breakdown of marriage.